Saturday, May 11, 2013

Five For Friday... Grump-A-Saurus Style on a Saturday


It’s time again for another Five for Friday linkup.  Is it just me, or does the time between Fridays keep getting shorter and shorter? Yay for that! How do you people who do all year school survive?  I don’t know what I would do without being able to look forward to 9 whole weeks (it gets shorter every year) without anyone’s children to argue with but my own. :)


1. Insect research projects are happening here.  I got very brave and decided to let each kid pick whichever insect that had the most interest in.  Luckily, every group got at least two members so they could somewhat work as a team.  Even cockroaches.  Weird kids….  I borrowed the laptop cart from the office and tried to use google to find facts.  Oh geez- that was an adventure.  One kid actually said, “So we just get to look at whatever on the internet?” Yep. That’s what I said Buddy. Have at it.  They were actually incredibly engaged and successful. Here’s a picture of my ladybug group working.



And my praying mantis group… They were not as in tune with each other. One of these boys came up, book in hand, and asked “what is mating?” Uh… Working together to make new eggs…  What was I supposed to say???

      2. Each student made a hat to represent their insect.  Super cute. Some of them we got from Deanna Jump’s insect unit, and the bee was from a freebie by Angie Neal at Fall Into First.  The ant came from Mailbox magazine ages ago.  Aren’t they cute?

         

     3. Double Digit Addition has been the name of the game here for the past few weeks and they are Tearing. It. Up.  In a good way… Not in a “we aren't doing this junk so we’re literally tearing it up” kind of way… To finish it off we made these icecream scoops inspired by Smitten with First.  I made a quick little cone pattern that you can download by clicking on the image and then copied her adorable display.  Are you amazed by the four addend cone?  That was done by one of my little talented and gifted darlings.  All on her own.  She knocks my socks off each and every day.   




 4.  Teacher Appreciation Week. What a joke.  Here’s what I received from the district.


This weird clock that I don’t have room for on my desk and a stylus for the IPad that my classroom doesn’t have because I teach primary and we don’t get those.  It’s pretty much a slap in the face.  “Oh teacher who is so appreciated- your grade level doesn’t get Ipads because we don’t value you enough, but everyone else does so here is a stylus to… I don’t know.  Pick your nose with.”  I am sorry.  I know I sound SO ungrateful and grumpy but I work in an urban school and take a lot of crap from a lot of people, and I’d LOVE to feel like someone cared AT ALL. And it isn’t about a gift. It isn’t.  A sweet email, written just for me, would do the trick.  Instead I get a stylus.  Whatever. 

5. Monday is Field Day and we will be sporting our TyeDye shirts.  We make them in April to wear on our field trip to the aquarium and will be pulling them back out Monday.  I did something wrong because they are NOT beautiful but my awesome little guys were totally fine with using fuscia as our color.  That’s this group of kids. So easy going and willing to do whatever.  Do any of you TyeDye with your class? What did I do wrong here?  Why do they look like this?  I followed the RIT instructions closely and they’re still pretty much just allover pink.  Oops.  And don’t mind the wrinkles. I just pulled it out of a pile of clean clothes that is, seriously, about 4 feet high.  My husband just adores me.  :) 


3 comments:

  1. Okay - I love you! This post made me laugh so hard I almost peed my pants. A stylus to pick your nose with. Our district gave gifts to every school in our district except ours.... I am thinking it might be because we didn't score well on the state test. Teacher appreciation week was not all that exciting here either. Title One school as well... nuff said. We had field day on Friday. It was kind of disgusting and we got an interesting visit from a super high mom.... always fun! I am so glad I found your blog through the linky!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing style makes me smile and that will hook me every time! Thank you for making me laugh but I can also see that you are a great teacher. I love the research projects and having the kids work together. Your district blew with their Teacher appreciation "gift." I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the double digit ice cream cones! So cute!

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete